Monday, February 23, 2009

While Big Daddy D's away...

I won't whine. I hate whining. Absolutely hate hearing it and doing it myself. So I will merely say that I had a craptastic weekend. Parts were crappy, parts were fantastic.

For some reason every adult person that I interact with on a regular basis (in person) was unavailable for comment the whole weekend. 4 days with no one but kids to deal with leaves you looking for conversation in the strangest of places.

If any of you encounter a rather frazzled looking adult type person with children in tow and that person has a rather desperate smile and talks a bit too fast-be kind, be patient, be responsive, after all you might be the only grown up that person has talked to in days.

On the fantastic side I had a wonderful hours long discussion with my big girl about boundaries and healthy relationships, the wisdom of being a good friend and the time it takes to learn that it is impossible to fix people. It was a fantastic talk and I did not get bogged down in the in lecturish behavior that sometimes happens.

I also very fantastically purchased my favorite jeans of all time in my very favorite size of all time and yes, my ass is fantastic in them. A pair of Levi 501 blues in 30x30 since you asked so nicely. Shhh, Big Daddy D doesn't know I bought them.

I have also embarked on a rather ambitious though I admit rather silly project. 1000(+1) origami cranes to be folded and strung together for a wish granted and good luck. At my current rate of folding I am estimating a finish date sometime early spring 2010. That should give me plenty of time to figure out what I want to wish for-which I think is the whole idea anyway;)

To top it all off even though I have a teenage daughter and all that that implies she is fantastic too and helped me start off my morning today rather fantastically as you can see for yourself.
She can't spell for anything but I think I'll keep her. Good minions are hard to come by.
The smaller of the minions obligingly woke with a smile thereby ensuring that this morning is fantastic indeed.

12 comments:

The CEO said...

I am still available to make a lease-purchase deal on the litle one. I know about needing to talk to an adult, mostly I'd like to be left alone.

Nej said...

I had to rescue a local friend of mine from the all-children, all-the-time life this weekend.

My sister suffered from it when her kids were small, and she wasn't working, so I can usually recognize the signs when presented with them.

I once went out to lunch with my her, and in the middle of a conversation, looked down to see she was cutting my food into smaller bites.

I then made a point to use as many cuss words as I could artfully arrange in a sentence.....and talk about everything adult I could think of....sex, drugs, booze, taxes....the works.

The therapy seemed to work, she snapped out of mommy mode promptly and we laughed about it for months. :-)

ginstonic said...

I totally understand - I think that's why I liked going back to school at 30-something. Stay at home hermit that I am I get to talk to the person who most misunderstands me, argues with me, doesn't pay attention to me, has the hardest time figuring out what I want or who I really am - ME. I did have 2 grandkids to preoccupy me this weekend. Since this year started I have talked to exactly ZERO non-family adults on any subject except work. I should blog more.

Brook said...

Monty-If I make it up that way I am dropping in-I'll give you a heads up, the kid might not be with me though. Come on down for a visit and you meet her though.
Nej-same to you. Only your job will be to rescue me. I know some good places-well, I did anyway! The lack of sleep thing definitely contributes crapitude.
Mom-you should go to the track more. Those people love you even though they can be hard to talk to at times. Go for me on Thirsty Thursday and drink my beer!

Nej said...

If I can ever find an excuse (yeah right, like I need one) to get down that way, I'm totally knocking on your door! Same goes to you though, you are always welcome at casa de Mot and Nej. :-)

Brook said...

There is space and hot water if you 2 head this way for vacay! Totally!

WanderingGirl said...

Love it. I need minions. Bad.

Brook said...

WG-minions, I'm telling you, that is where it's at girl!

Anonymous said...

Had to comment on this one (farewell to lurking, I guess). I remember the days of concentrating so as not to order "scotch and wa-wah", but I tell you girl, this life is indeed a circle. I now go places hoping for a few minutes of conversation with a child! I see them as perveyors of truth in the universe and I know now that all those old ladies who stopped me with my cart full of kids at the grocery store were right...."it goes by waaaay too fast".

Also for the record, I need the Wandering Girl's minions bad too!

Brook said...

MK-I know, and I try. Thanks to the wonders of digital cameras I have more pictures thatn I know what to do with and some pretty funny short videos too. I never think anyone is crazy for wanting to talk to the kids and sometimes do it myself with other peoples kids. And yeah, I keep telling WG she needs her a good minion-but no pressure. Training those suckers is a long expensive process and deserves plenty of forthought!

ginstonic said...

MA Kings comment re: children as the purveyors of truth, puts me in mind of a great B story...

Brook said...

GRAMMA! YOUR....HAAAHAAAHAAA!