Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Paprika Chicken

Here is one of my favorite chicken dishes and it is more a method rather than a recipe.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees

Chicken pieces(I use legs and occasionally thighs-leave the skin on please)

Here's the method part:

liberally salt your chicken and completely cover it with paprika and ground black pepper(I use the cheap stuff and could not imagine how delicious it could be with really prime paprika-if you splurge let me know!)

Place your chicken in a lightly oiled oven proof skillet or two-do not crowd the chicken(I use both of my cast iron skillets for this)

Put the chicken in the oven

After 15 minutes turn your chicken over

Let cook another 20 minutes.

Your chicken is done and delicious.

I always serve this with caramelized onions( usually 4-5 medium), english peas or brussel sprouts from the freezer, and crusty bread from the bakery as I have not even come close to mastering breads.

Tips for working with onions:

Freeze your onions for 30 minutes or so before you start slicing-if you work fast you can have those suckers sliced with your SUPER SHARP KNIFE before they warm up enough to send those tear making snot inducing fumes up to your face!
Plus you can cut them thinner when they are partially frozen.
Oh and to get the smell off your hands super easy you can do one of three things-buy one of those silly stainless steel eggs(but why?), rub your soapy hands thoroughly on the divider in your stainless steel sink or lastly (if you don't have a stainless sink)rub a stainless steel spoon in your hands as you wash them.

Stainless Steel is the bomb!

I cut onions nearly every day and trust me, these tricks do work.

5 comments:

Huff Daddy said...

Julia says rubbing your hands with salt will get the smell out as it opens the pores. I've never tried it so I don't know.

I have never been bothered by cutting onions but then I have sharp knives. My mantra is, "in order to cook you need one good pan and one good knife." But the freezing trick is very interesting. Thanks, I'll pass that on as needed.

Brook said...

Huff Daddy! There you are! It is funny but I have a hard time using salt for anything but cooking-maybe in a former life salt was really hard to come by. You must be tall, blessed or both to not be bothered by cutting onions. And yep, a good pan and a good knife are all you need-I ate many a meal in China prepared in kitchens with little more than that.
CEO-this is so easy and very good to boot and one day I will have to bust out the big bucks and try some hungarian smoked paprika just to see.

Nej said...

Mental note, scoot chair back from computer before reading...drool is bad for keyboard.

I had to make sure I read this after lunch, on a full stomach. If I'd read it this morning, I would have had to eat lunch at 9:00 am. :-)

WanderingGirl said...

PB says the only reason your eyes don't water is because Big Daddy D judy-chops them for you!

Brook said...

I wish. Boy do I wish. Believe me crying happens, just not as much!