Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ruby Rushed & Crispy Chicken

First I would like to thank the academy, whoops, wrong thank you speech.

Thanks to WanderingGirl and Spellbound for their offers of help with finding my preferred hair color. I am glad to report that after my second stop today(a total 6 of stops in all over the past week)I found a freshly stocked drugstore shelf with 3 boxes of Ruby Rush. I exercised a smidge of restraint and bought only 2 of them so as to not leave another woman desperately searching for her color. Hmmm, honestly I have not seen another woman in the area-or man for that matter-with the same shade of red hair. I might have to go back and get that other box after all. My first task upon returning home was to lock my self in the bathroom and TaDa! Hair once again gloriously red root to tip and I feel magnificent darlings!

Also I have a confession.

Last night I cooked for the first time since Big Daddy D left for San Fransisco Friday. I know, hard to believe, but true nonetheless. We survived "gasp"on frozen pizza, chips and some left overs. Sometimes ya just gotta take a break ya know? Of course I am thinking now about how assaulting my body with all the stuff in convenience food and chips was not a good idea and probably did not help my mood/stress levels at all. I'll have to keep that in mind for the future(Big Daddy D takes at least 4-and often more-business trips every year). What is so amusing about the junk food and not cooking thing is that he is not home to eat most nights anyway. I mean, he gets home a little before 9 every night and eats whatever we girls had for supper, but it's not like we eat meals together. What was the difference really? Ah well, of course I know the difference-it was fun and we got to "sneak" and eat in ways that he would never approve of(he does not dictate our diet, don't think that-he just doesn't think Cheetos make for a good supper or a bowl of chocolate ice cream, for that matter). Truthfully I don't sanction it either, but I love the thrill of being naughty. Even if it was only with a frozen pizza. Ah well. Next time I'll just check my bedside drawer for a bit of naughty fun while he is away. My mood would have been improved I am sure. No I did not just say what you think I said. OK, OK, I did. ; }

Crispy Chicken

In large bowl or gallon size freezer bag combine:

2 T dry sherry
4 t soy sauce
2 t kosher salt
2 t sugar
4 green onions chopped fine-white and green parts
4 cloves garlic chopped fine-or use your garlic press people(surely you have one)
3+ T grated ginger(I keep mine in the freezer and grate it skin and all as I need it)

Into your bag or bowl add

2-3 lbs chicken thighs(again skin on please)this is also excellent for legs and wings-just joint the wings first

Make sure the meat is coated with the marinade and refrigerate for at least an hour and up to about 6 hours max, turning the meat occasionally to ensure even saturation

Heat your oven to 425 degrees

Place chicken skin side up on a rimmed sheet pan and bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes. For extra yumminess pour all the marinade in the pan and when the chicken is done, pour off some of the fat and deglaze the baking sheet for a wonderful pan sauce.

This is very good with rice and packs extremely well for lunches, tailgate parties and of course picnics.

I also made banana muffins last night. Would you like that recipe too?

3 comments:

The CEO said...

If you run out of sherry, you can use saki instead. You are making a form of terryaki sauce. The sherry is sweeter, I think. Sounds delicious.

Brook said...

Yup, the dry sherry makes it chinese though actually in China I would have access to bai jiu(a liquor made from sorghum), using sake makes it japanese, and is equally delicious. Currently I am using my sake stock for the occasional Bloody Mary. Not as potent as vodka and with as spicy as I like a Bloody Mary the difference is negligble and I can have more than one w/out being knocked on my ass!

Nej said...

Frozen pizzas, cheetos, chocolate ice cream, and your bedside drawer.....(giggle).

I assaulted my body with chicken strips and fries at the hockey game last night. We haven't eaten at the stadium once all year, but I broke down and did it for the last game last night. (Plus, Mot was working and wasn't with me.)

I would LOVE your recipe for banana muffins. I'm a banana bread addict!!!!!

Glad to hear you found your fav hair color. I was ready to head out and see if I could find it here. :-)