Monday, January 26, 2009

Well it's only Monday...

But so far so good. The meatloaf was a big hit, and ended up going in lunch today-gah I had 2 glasses of wine last night and felt like warmed over dog shit this morning and could barely even do that. Just two glasses spread over the entire evening knocked me on my ass. I think my champagne overload at New Years must have taken a toll. I know it did because I cut my hand on a piece of glass from the exploded bottle on Saturday while getting some stuff out to make Pork Marsala for some friends who had come over for Big Daddy D's birthday.

Let me be the first to tell you that he bought his own cake. He will never let me live that one down, but hey, who's counting!

Tonight I changed things around a bit and made spam musubi, which is a Japanese/Hawaiian fusion sushi concoction. It is addictive, let me tell you! I am very thankful for my rice cooker which simplifies the process immeasurably. So, B and Big Daddy D will share what is left for lunch tomorrow.

Meatloaf

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

In food processor or mini food chopper(which is what I have)

1 entire stalk celery
1 medium onion which you had the foresight to put in the freezer 30 minutes or so earlier
2 small-medium carrots

process to near paste consistency

Place in large bowl

veggie mixture
1 large egg
1 cup plain bread crumbs
2 tsp kosher salt
plenty of fresh ground black pepper
a few dashes worchestershire sauce
a squeeze of your favorite ketchup

combine well

Add

2lbs ground chuck

Mix just enough, go ahead and use your hands if they are clean!

Spray with non stick cooking spray a regular size muffin tin and fill six of the muffin cups with meatloaf mixture-just level or a smidge lower

top with ketchup

On a jelly roll pan or in a large baking dish form the remaining meat mixture into a rectangular loaf shape and liberally coat with-you guessed it-ketchup

place both pans in the oven and bake for about 45-50 minutes.

The mini loaves get frozen individually when they have cooled.

Meatloaf at our house is always served with mashed potatoes and green beans-it just is, I don't question it and neither should you!
The left over meatloaf is good cold, in a sandwich and sometimes as a kind of hash thingy with some leftover mashed potatoes fried up crisp in bacon grease.
We usually have enough left for lunches or another supper, which ever comes first.




3 comments:

The CEO said...

I could live with you if meatloaf is a staple in the diet. I love meatloaf. Yummy.

Brook said...

Big Daddy D might have some questions about that but I am sure we could work something out. Meatloaf lovers of the world unite!

ginstonic said...

I herby let everyone know your mom can NOT make a decent meatloaf, although her stuffed peppers are great. And I love meatloaf, just can't seem to make one. You had lots more cooking inspiration than me, though.