Thursday, January 7, 2010

Tuna Patties

The Everglades as seen from an air boat on the Miccosukkee Indian Reservation

Tuna Cakes

In a largish bowl combine:

5 5oz cans chunk light tuna packed in oil-it tastes so much better that's why!-well drained
1 large egg

Mix together and then stir in:

1/2 to 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs(the guess is because I measure in my hand and sometimes I spill some, it's not rocket science-unless you're AB of course)

Fold in:

2-3 tablespoons capers
fresh ground black pepper to taste(or in my case about 2 teaspoons easy)

Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out onto a biggish plate 8 patties and lightly pat them down to about an inch thick or so, evening up the sides as you go.
Cover with plastic wrap or tea towel and put them in the fridge for 10 or 15 minutes. If you skip this step your patties will end up falling apart. Trust me.
Take the plate out of the fridge and put about 1/4 cup of AP flour in a little wire strainer and lightly dust the patties. Gently pat the flour in and carefully turn the patties over and repeat.
Heat your largest flat bottom skillet over medium/medium high heat and add enough olive oil to cover the bottom(no, I have no idea how much it works out to be)
Place the tuna patties in the hot oil and cook about 4 minutes per side-maybe longer. I have one person who loves them dark and crispy and I do try to accommodate her requests from time to time.
Serve with lemon linguine(which is this minus the shrimp) and additional lemon wedges to squeeze on top.
These are quite good and actually got a "I really like this" from a non canned tuna eater.

With cat and dog ensconced on my lap and keeping me warm I struggle to tap out these few words. A difficult task for more than the obvious reason. My heart and mind are full of feelings and thoughts better left unfelt, unsaid, unexplored. For now I am fine with that. If sometimes my chest aches and my throat tightens while tears glisten unshed, I don't dwell. I just move on. One day the quagmire that lurks inside my soul may catch me, but it will not be this day. Not this one.

3 comments:

Huff Daddy said...

Sounds very good. I imagine canned salmon works just as well. Which might be important if it snows again.

Nej said...

Or canned chicken maybe as well? I must try this tuna dish...as soon as I can find the grocery store. Right now, it seems to be lurking under the snow somewhere. There have been reported sightings....but nothing confirmed. :-)

WV: satedom

Brook said...

Hd-I usually do make this with canned salmon, of which I usually have plenty on hand cause just like Scarlett I will never be hungry again. Thank you for the cook book and the salts. I can't wait to open the book and get reading. That bacon salt is STRONG(I am sure you didn't need me to tell you that). The Kid would like to thank you for her bubble wrap, the big bubbles made it especially fun and easy to pop.

Nej-I am sure canned chicken would work. Leftover turkey too. I think it's pretty adaptable. Grocery store sightings? Now you're crazy talking! Stock up before next week!