Monday, September 21, 2009

A recipe to go with the last of the Whine

Wow.

I have spent some time re reading this blog and see that I have been rather sad as of late. When did I get so sad?

I was pretty happy when I started writing this baby. I wonder what changed?

Whatever, it sucks.

Gonna have to fix this.

I hate whiners and here I've been whining constantly for the past 4 months.
I need some cheese, maybe a *crack*er.

So.

Howz about a recipe?



Shrimp with Lemon Linguine (serves 4)

Put on to boil:

Water in your largest pot

Peel and devein:

1lb shrimp(I use 30-40 ct because well, it's cheaper and ends up feeling like you're eating more shrimp for the money)

Zest 2 lemons and add half of the zest to 1/4 cup olive oil-set aside oil and remaining zest

By now your water is boiling so add to the water: salt and 1/2 lb of linguine-set the timer according to the package erring on the too little time to allow for al dente pasta(who likes soggy pasta anyway?) Also, when your pasta is done don't drain and rinse it! If you must drain it, reserve about a cup of the cooking water.

(make sure the kitten is NOT chewing through your power cord as you type your recipe)(very crucial step here!)

Heat your largest skillet over medium hi heat

Slice thinly:

2-3 shallots(or a good red onion-go for the flavor profile you like best)

Add some olive oil to the skillet and the onions and saute. When the onions are not quite cooked to your liking add the shrimp and cook until the shrimp is almost done.

Add to the skillet:

juice of 1-2 lemons(once again adjust for your palate)

a pinch of salt, a grind of pepper

a splash of dry white wine(optional)

linguine

Toss and add:

1lb of baby spinach

reserved lemon zest

reserved lemon oil

1/2 cup or so of Parmesan cheese

Toss some more and if needed add up to one cup of the pasta water to loosen up your pasta.

Serve hot, with additional Parmesan and maybe some bread if you're feeling especially carberiffic.

PS I need to figure out how to override the autoformatting that happens with my recipes!


12 comments:

Nej said...

"I need some cheese, maybe a *crack*er."

:-) :-)

Brook said...

It can't be that bad if I can laugh about the ridiculousness of it right? Need to snap out of it before the 2x4 of life knocks me upside the head yet again. *CRACK*

Anonymous said...

recipe sounds good...except the shrimp part. lol. i don't eat anything from the water...

buck up, camper! :)

WanderingGirl said...

I think the recipe sounds awesome. I can't wait to try it! Jason doesn't like shrimp, but I'll make it for myself anyway. He can pick out the shrimp and put chicken in his.

For the record, I don't think you've been whining. You've been living, and sometimes living is on the sad side. It happens. Thanks for being honest with us. :)

Brook said...

Nat-I have made this with chicken and it is still delicious! Bucking up.

Tiff-like I said it is good with chicken, not as good as with shrimp or even crab(I just thought of that today though when I'll have the money for that is a guess!) Thanks. Living some on the sad side. Yep. That is part of it all isn't it? Blue, I gotta tell ya, is a joy. What is it about silly busy falling out exhausted kittens that cheers one up so well? He brightens every day. And honestly I love sleeping with him. Something about that tiny furry purring body makes it good. Thanks for finding him and letting him go...and I truly hope Pooh King improves much and soon.

Amy said...

this sounds soo good-i def. will make soon! I love shrimp, lemon and pasta. Oh-and spinach too. How is the exchange girl doin? She looks sweet.

Brook said...

Amy-most delicious! The exchange student is doing well, and she is very sweet.

Anonymous said...

go to this post of yours and remember how much you love you and your life
http://brooksblogbaby.blogspot.com/2008/11/i-love.html

Brook said...

Anonynmous-thanks-I did and you're right, I do need to remember. I'm glad I wrote that list. Maybe I should do it again.

Spellbound said...

I'm sorry I have been awol. I have not posted because everything I wrote was frankly whiney. I'm not sure my latest is much better but I guess everyone has the right to bitch now and again. I think you and I both have that unsettled restlessness inside that isn't going to leave, probably ever. I'm not sure I even want to get rid of it at this point. Let's just say there have been restless portents in the heavens for the last few months and leave it at that. BTW, you can whine to me anytime you need to. Hugs

Just Jules said...

popping in from tangobaby and I can tell in an instant I'm gonna like you. Not that you are sad though - but the fact that you can admit it and say you need to fix it. will look around now if you don't mind.

Brook said...

Spellbound-AWOL is it? Portentious portents aside you are right about the restlessness. I should probably thank my Navy dad for my restless heart. For the record-you can whine to me anytime too.

Just Jules-Welcome! Look around, brew a cup of tea and sit a spell. It only gets better from here!